This is the first of a series of posts highlighting some of our favourite products for your new puppy. These are all things and Gatsby and I have tried and loved. We love products that are as natural as possible, and made by reputable companies. Most of these items can be purchased at your local pet store, our favourites are Tisol and VanPet, although some of our toys and bedding were found at PetSmart (mainly due to my Martha Stewart obsession).
1. Easy Walk Harness – Our trainer recommended this harness as its front clip style makes leash training easier. I’ve noticed that walking Gatsby was easier the second he started wearing it. Much less pulling than with our previous harness where the leash clipped at the top of his back.
2. Leash – Any old leash will do. Ours is nylon, 6 ft long and about half an inch wide.
3. Earth Rated Poop Bags – We love Earth Rated! Their products are well made and affordable. I also love that they have biodegradable bags in addition to their classic lavender scented ones.
4. Dog Tag – We picked ours up at PetSmart and they engraved it there for us. Don’t forget to include your contact information on the back!
5. Dog Bed – I’ve discovered that Gatsby is particularly fond of these “cuddler” style beds.
6. Earth Rated Bag Holder – For easy access on the go.
7. Towels – When you adopt a dog, things can get messy! If you have old towels laying around, by all means use those. I didn’t, and so I went ahead a purchased a couple towels to be used exclusively for cleaning up and bathing Gatsby.
8. Crate – Gatsby came to me with his crate, which is similar to this one. Aim to find a size that allows your dog to stand up inside and curl up comfortably, without being too large. You want this crate to be a cozy den for your pup to sleep in.
This post was first published on April 6th, 2015.